Friday 2 January 2015

Day 33 - Character designs for game. Colour palette tip.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been mostly focusing on improving my drawing abilities and coming up with character designs. I feel spending time on these areas is worth delaying any actual game coding or story writing, but I'll have to switch back from art mode to game mode at some point or I'll be drawing forever.

glitchmode esme
Glitchmode Esme
A little tip I picked up (I think from Mark Crilley - www.youtube.com/user/markcrilley) to come up with a colour palette is to take a photo with some interesting colours in and use photoshop to simplify this into a few dozen colours.

photoshop colour palette from photo
Photoshop colour palette from photo
I did play a little with the saturation first (under Enhance > Adjust Colour > Adjust Hue/Saturation) and then applied the Crystallize filter (under Filter > Pixelate > Crystallize).

No comments:

Post a Comment